Developer Forum »
Search engine not functioning
0 posts
Relatude

Hi,

I'm not sure when these problems began, but lately I've experienced that the search engine(s) in Relatude have slowly turned useless. Just now, I tried to search for a node ID, but got no results. Even though there is evidently an article with this ID (see image A)

As for the other search engine, the word search here does not seem to work either. I seach for the word "Presse", in which I get 7 results. Only two that acutally has the word "Presse" in the name, and none that has the word "Presse" by itself. The article I try to find, "Presse og sosiale medier frivillige", does not show (see image B and C)

It would be nice to get an explanation to this, and if it's related to any of the newer updates, or if it's caused by something else.

Anna

Attachments
37 posts

Comment just to follow with my email

171 posts

Hi!

Have you tried to reindex the search index? Search indexes sometimes get corrupted. It might be the reason why it is not working correctly.  

Vidar

37 posts

No, is it any of these?

Attachments
171 posts

Yes, try the "Rebuild search index". There is an indexing queue status in the system module where you can see when it is finished. See the attached screenshot.

In some rare cases, if the problem with search index is caused by the file system locking the old index files, the "Rebuild search index" might not work. So you you still have bad results after rebuilding the index, stop the site, delete all the files in the "App_Data\WAF\Temp\Index\Lucene" folder, and then do a Rebuild search index.

Hope this helps!

Vidar

Attachments
37 posts

Hmm, I may not be doing this right. I click "Rebuild search index", and get a response about queued items. But nothing happens with the index que number

Attachments
171 posts

You have to reload the module for the value to be updated. Click on the "System" tab to reload.

Vidar

37 posts

I can't see anhy "Lucene" folder. Only a "Suggest" folder

Attachments
171 posts

I think maybe the site you're working on has overriden the default location of the content files and the search index. I believe there is a web.config for the index location called "WAF.SearchIndexPath"

37 posts

Yes correct.

Here I see a lof of files like the following:

_1ql.fdt
_1ql.fdx
_2un.fnm
_3f8_ay.del
segments.gen
segments_3y9

 

171 posts

Yes, that's the files of the search index. If the rebuild didn't help, delete the files in the folder and regenerate the search index. If you have problems deleting the files, stop the website, and try to delete again.

Vidar

37 posts

Hi, I tried deleting the files and run it again, without seeing any changes. I also tried running "Delete search index" > "Rebuild search index" without any change (I cannot find the "Regenerate" as you mention)

171 posts

Sorry, I meant "Rebuild", not regenerate..

  • Is this on your local machine? Could you try to comment out the web.config setting that moves the search index out of the website to see if the problem could be access rights the Lucene user has outside the website folder? In other words, test if it works when the index is stored in the default location. That should help us pinpoint the problem.

  • Are you able to delete all the files in the Index folder?
37 posts

Hi, I have removed this line from AppSettings.config, and will test again:

 <add key="WAF.SearchIndexPath" value="~\\App_Data\\SearchIndex"/>

To your second question, yes, I'm able to delete the files in the "App_Data/SearchIndex" folder (I guess this was the folder you referred to)

0 posts
Relatude

Hi, I cannot say that this worked either.

The files did not come back to the SearchIndex folder, but no new folder was added either. This is what I tried:
- Remove the line from AppSettings I mentioned above
- Empty the SearchIndex folder
- Delete search index
- Restart site
- Rebuild search index
- Test nodeID search in fast search, and word search in extended search. None of them worked

An important detail though: The search works fine in the old interface, /edit. The nodeID I wasn't able to find, showed up in the fast search. And searching for "Presse" in the extended search also worked as expected. Here I chose to search for "Name". If I choose to search for "Content", I get the same results as in extended search in /relatude.

To me, these results seems to show that the problem is not on us and our indexing, but on the new interface. I don't know why the node ID search is not working in the new interface. But as for the extended search, I imagine you have simply chose to use the "Content" search only in the new interface, thinking this would cover all results. Unfortunately it doesn't.

It may be that this could be fixed by our indexing. But primarily it seems to me that you have landed on a worse solution than you had before, if it takes so much work in order to use the search on the new interface compared with the old.

1 2 >